Special Education and ELLs: Event Archive
Cristina Sánchez-López is a bilingual education expert with extensive experience delivering professional development focused on special education, serving dually-identified students, and culturally responsive RTI/MTSS. Our Facebook Live event with her addresses a number of questions from our audience about these topics.
Resources mentioned in the conversation are listed below. You can send additional questions to Cristina at: multilingualCC at gmail.com
See the original chat on Facebook, along with comments and questions from our audience.
We have edited the video into shorter clips for you to share and use in professional development! Take a look at the playlist here:
The following resources are featured in our Special Education and ELLs resource section.
- A Hidden Language: Supporting Students Who Speak Mixtec
- Using a “Can Do” Approach to Ensure Differentiated Instruction Intentionally Supports the Needs of Language Learners
- What are My Choices? Facilitating Meaningful Conversations with Families of Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Students during the Disabilities Referral Process
- The Home Language: An English Language Learner's Most Valuable Resource
- At-Risk Learners and Bilingualism: Is It a Good Idea?
Books and Guides
- Special Education Considerations for English Language Learners, 2nd Ed. (Caslon Press)
- Response to Instruction & Intervention (RtI²) for English Language Learners Framework (WIDA)
- Assessing English Language Learners: Bridges to Educational Equity (Corwin Press)
- A Word Beginning with "T": "Maestra"
- Reasons for the Misidentification of Special Needs among ELLs
- Some Myths Regarding ELLs and Special Education
- Recommended Resources from Cristina (including sites from Canada that Cristina mentioned in the discussion)
Research from Dr. Nancy Commins
- Dr. Nancy Commins, Clinical Professor of Linguistically Diverse Education at the University of Colorado - Boulder
- Dr. Nancy Commins: Selected Populations
- Restructuring Schools for Linguistic Diversity: Linking Decision Making to Effective Programs (2nd Edition)
- University of Pennsylvania: Positive Psychology Center
- Dr. Luis Moll: Funds of Knowledge for Teaching
A Hidden Language: Mixtec