- Why Reading to Your Kids in Your Home Language Will Help Them Become Better Readers
- The Seal of Biliteracy Initiative
- But What If I Don't Know English?
- Second Language Acquisition
- Learning Two Languages
- My child is learning English as a second language. What should I do if he makes mistakes?
- My child insists on talking to me in English. How can I help her maintain her native language?
- If we only speak to our child in English, will he lose his ability to speak in native language?
- My husband speaks to our daughter in English. I want to speak to her in my native language. Won't she get confused?
- But will speaking to my child in my native language make it harder for him to learn English when he goes to school?
This blog was created by two Latina moms who wanted to raise their children to be bilingual and proud of their American and Latino cultures. While the blog is no longer being updated, it offers great posts about raising bilingual families, recommended resources, expert advice, and lots of encouragement to parents.
The Importance of Home Language: Head Start Tip Sheets
School readiness and school success for children who are dual language learners are tied directly to mastery of their home language. This series of handouts is designed to provide staff and families with basic information on topics related to children learning two or more languages. They emphasize the benefits of being bilingual, the importance of maintaining home language, and the value of becoming fully bilingual. These easy-to-read resources highlight important information that every adult living or working with young dual language learners should know.