- An Innovative High School CCSS Lesson for ELLs: Letters from John Smith
- Common Core and ELLs: Classroom Videos from Colorín Colorado
- Using Pair and Group Work to Develop ELLs’ Oral Language Skills
- Creating Text-Dependent Questions for ELLs: Examples for Second Grade (Part 2)
- The Common Core in Albuquerque, NM
Our library of Common Core classroom video modules provides self-paced professional development for individual teachers or professional learning groups. These modules include classroom video, related lesson materials, reflection interviews, and the standards to which the lessons are aligned.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
- Interactive reading of a story
- Introducing Burro's Tortillas
- Using "realia" to build background
- Writing a cooperative paragraph
- Introducing different versions of Cinderella
- Focusing on language with the Common Core
- Higher-level questions: Thinking about magic
- Identifying evidence from the text
- Learning about genre
- Making text-to-text connections
Poughkeepsie, New York
Middle & High School
- Answering guiding questions with middle school ELLs
- Instruction of key academic vocabulary with high school ELLs
- Reading non-fiction text with high school ELLs
These Common Core lesson plans and activities accompany the above video modules. They are aligned to the Common Core State Standards and target English language learners' (ELLs) literacy and language needs.
Units & Lesson Plans
- Grade 1 Lesson Plans: Burro's Tortillas
- Grade 4 Lesson Plans: Cinderella by Barbara McClintock
- Grade 8 Lesson Plans: "The Story of an Hour" by Kate Chopin
Meet the Teachers Featured in Our Videos!
Other Recommended Lesson Plans & Videos
This five-lesson middle school unit from Stanford University's Understanding Language initiative provides an example of scaffolded ELL curriculum and highlights opportunities for collaboration around the CCSS.
For discussion of these units and their pilot programs, see the following:
- Understanding Language's CCSS Unit for ELLs (Colorín Colorado blog)
- Common Core and ELLs: Reading and Writing Persuasion (Education Week)