Bilingual Information for Families
Parents have an important role to play in the implementation of the Common Core State Standards. These resources offer questions for discussion, multilingual resources, and video on Common Core basics.
- Supporting the Common Core Writing Standards
- Developing Research and Information Literacy
- Making Inferences and Drawing Conclusions
- How Parents Can Support the Common Core Reading Standards
- Ten Things Parents Should Know About the Common Core State Standards
- Bay Area District Offers ELL Parent Outreach on Common Core
- Advocating for ELLs in Implementing the CCSS
Parent information in multiple languages
The following multilingual resources offer parents an introduction to the Common Core State Standards and describe the impact the standards will have in their children's schooling.
Bilingual Guides & Tip Sheets (English/Spanish)
- Parent Roadmaps to the Common Core: English Language Arts (Council of Great City Schools)
- Parent Roadmaps to the Common Core: Mathematics (Council of Great City Schools)
- Parent Guides to Student Success by Grade (National PTA)
- Common Core: Information for Parents and Guardians (CA Department of Education)
- Common Core: What Do Parents Need to Know? (Education Northwest)
Bilingual Toolkits & Multimedia (English/Spanish)
- Common Core Toolkit for Parents (OR Department of Education)
- Spanish-Language Translation of the Common Core State Standards (CA Department of Education)
- Common Core Video in Spanish (Hunt Institute)
Guides in multiple languages
- Understanding the Common Core: Information for Families (NYC Department of Education)
- What Are the Common Core Shifts? (engageNY)
Family & Community Advocacy
Student and Family Engagement: The Missing Piece of the Education Reform Puzzle
In this article written for Colorín Colorado, Joaquín Tamayo discusses the role of student and family engagement in reform initiatives and in discussions around the implementation of the Common Core State Standards.
Californians Together: Advocacy Toolkit
This Advocacy Toolkit has prepared talking points for use by educators, policy makers, parents and community members in dialogues at the local, district and state levels — raising concerns, pushing for the supports needed to realize the Common Core for English learners, and advancing the vision of English Learner education that the Common Core can make possible.