Guides & Toolkits
Colorín Colorado is pleased to offer free print guides created for parents, teachers, and anyone who wants to improve the reading achievement of children. You're welcome to download and print these guides for your own use or to distribute to others.
Many of these guides and toolkits were created by Colorín Colorado or our sister site Reading Rockets.
Tip Sheets and Guides
Guides for Teachers and Administrators
In the Classroom
- Toolkit for Teachers: Reaching Out to Hispanic Parents of ELLs
- Engaging ELL Families: 20 Strategies for School Leaders
Advocacy & Policy
- Serving English Learners: Laws, Policies, and Regulations
- All In! How Educators Can Advocate for English Language Learners
- Unaccompanied Children in Schools: What You Need to Know
- Immigrant and Refugee Children: Tools and Resources to Help Protect and Prepare Youth and Families in Event of an Immigration Raid
- Fact Sheet for Families and School Staff: Limitations on DHS Immigration Enforcement Actions at Sensitive Locations
- Educational Services for Immigrant Children: What Schools Need to Know: The U.S. Departments of Education and Justice released fact sheets, FAQs, and enrollment guidance related to the educational services for immigrant children and families in January 2015. These fact sheets (also available in Spanish) and the Civil Rights information below provide a summary of what schools need to know.
Guidance and Resources from the U.S. Department of Education
- English Learner Tool Kit
- Newcomer Toolkit
- Dear Colleague Letter: English Learner Students and Limited English Proficient Parents (01/7/2015)
- Fact Sheet: Information for Limited English Proficient Parents and for Schools and School Districts that Communicate with Them
- Fact Sheet: Ensuring English Learner Students Can Participate Meaningfully and Equally in Educational Programs
Guides for Parents
- Reading Tip Sheets for Parents (in 13 languages!)
- Parent Tips: Help Your Child Have a Good School Year
- Tips for Parents: Parent-Teacher Conferences
- The Resources at Your Library
- The Importance of Home Language Series (Head Start, developed in collaboration with Colorín Colorado)
We've also gathered other print guides published by other organizations devoted to reading and literacy issues to make it easy for you to find what you need.