March 31: César Chávez Day
March 31st is César Chávez’s birthday. César Chávez Day is a federal commemorative holiday and is observed in a number of states around the country.
Here are books and classroom resources for kids and young adults about the civil rights leader and his legacy, as well as resources related to the education of children of migrant farmworkers of all ages.
Booklists: César Chávez & Migrant Stories
These booklists for kids and young adults honor the legacy of César Chávez, Dolores Huerta, and the United Farm Workers Movement, as well as the experience of migrant farmworker children and families.
- The Legacy of César Chávez
- Migrant Farmworker Families: Books for Kids
- Migrant Stories for Young Adults
In the Classroom
Special Populations: Migrant Farmworker Students & Families
Educators who work with migrant farmworker students have a unique opportunity to make a significant difference for their students, even if they only work together for a short time. Learn more about the challenges that face migrant students and how to provide them with opportunities for success from these resources featuring essential background information, classroom strategies, recommended books, and a list of related migrant education programs.
Image credit: Association of Farmworker Opportunity Programs.
Related Lesson Plans & Resources
- César Chávez Resource Collection (Share My Lesson)
- The Best Sites for Learning About César Chávez & The United Farm Workers Union (Larry Ferlazzo)
- César Chávez Day: Curriculum and Resources (California Department of Education)
- A Lesson About César Chávez and Civil Rights (Edutopia)
- César Chávez National Monument in California and Educator’s Toolkit (National Park Service)
- César Chávez and the Farmworker Movement: Videos (PBS Learning Media)
- Farmworkers Strike (PBS Latino Americans)
- From the Archives: Remembering César Chávez (Los Angeles Times)
- César Chávez Lesson Plans, Activities, and More (Mommy Maestra)
- César Chávez Lesson Plan (Scholastic)
- Lesson Plan: Writing Free Verse in the Voice of César Chávez (ReadWriteThink)
- César Chávez: Leveled Articles for the Classroom (Newsela)
- Viva la Causa: Toolkit and Teacher’s Guide (Teaching Tolerance)
Related Videos: Migrant Students