Research: Reading Instruction in Grades 1-3
To see research summaries, citations, and links to full reports, click on the report titles below.
- Teaching Reading Well: A Synthesis of the International Reading Association's Research on Teacher Preparation for Reading Instruction
- Children's Story Retelling as a Literacy and Language Enhancement Strategy
- Developing Literacy in Second-Language Learners: Report of the National Literacy Panel on Language-Minority Children and Youth
- Double Jeopardy: How Third-Grade Reading Skills and Poverty Influence High School Graduation
- Drop Everything and Read — But How? For Students Who Are Not Yet Fluent, Silent Reading Is Not the Best Use of Classroom Time
- Early Warning! Why Reading by the End of Third Grade Matters
- English Language Learners: Boosting Academic Achievement
- Getting Ready for Reading: Early Phoneme Awareness and Phonics Teaching Improves Reading and Spelling in Inner-city Second Language Learners
- National Literacy Panel's Executive Summary
- Teaching English Language Learners: What the Research Does — and Does Not — Say
- Teaching Literacy in English to K-5 English Learners
- Technology for Developing Children's Language and Literacy: Bringing Speech Recognition to the Classroom
- What Does Research Tell Us About Teaching Reading to English Language Learners?