Talking About Grief: Resources for Schools
When a student or the school community face a loss, it can be hard for educators and families to know how to respond.
These resources provide guidance for helping children deal with grief and include materials in other languages.
Grief and Bereavement
Bilingual resources for families and schools
The following resources are available in English and Spanish.
- Helping Kids Grieve (Sesame Street in Communities)
- When a Loved One Dies: How to Help Your Child (KidsHealth)
- Death and Grief: Supporting Teens (KidsHealth)
- How Children Understand Death and What You Should Say (HealthyChildren)
- Childhood Grief: When to Seek Additional Help (HealthyChildren)
- After a Loved One Dies: Parent Booklet (National Center for School Crisis and Bereavement)
Resources for Schools
For more in-depth information, see the following:
- School Guide: Responding to the Death of Student or Staff (National Center for School Crisis and Bereavement)
- A Child in Grief (New York Life Foundation)
- Traumatic Grief (National Child Traumatic Stress Network)