Close Reading Skills with ELLs
Giving English language learners (ELLs) the tools they need to develop close reading skills is an important step in helping them access more challenging grade-level texts (such as those aligned with the Common Core State Standards). These resources focus on using strategies such as questioning and using evidence from the text with ELLs.
- Analysis of a PARCC ELA Assessment Task Through an ELL Lens (Part 1)
- Teaching Informational Text to ELLs
- Instructional Suggestions for ELLs: PARCC Assessment Task (Part 2)
- Background Knowledge: A Key to Close Reading with ELLs
- Creating Text-Dependent Questions for ELLs: Examples for 6th-8th Grade (Part 3)