Turkey and Syria Earthquake: Resources for Educators
The following resources can be used to address the impacts of the massive earthquakes in Turkey and Syria. This page is part of our natural disaster guide, Natural Disaster Resources for Schools: Partnering with Multilingual Families.
- As death toll continues to rise, quake already deadliest in Turkey’s modern history (PBS NewsHour)
- A dire situation in northwest Syria: Devastating quake amid civil war (The Washington Post)
- Why the Turkey earthquake was so deadly, according to science (The Washington Post)
- The earthquake struck war-scarred northern Syria (The New York Times)
How to help
- How to help people affected by the earthquake in Turkey and Syria (The Washington Post)
- Save the Children
- World Central Kitchen
- Doctors Without Borders
- Turkish Embassy and Consulates
- How to avoid being scammed when you want to donate to a charity (NPR)
Turkish communiy in the U.S.
Learn how the Turkish community is responding in:
Tips for schools
- When Your School Community Is Impacted by a Global Crisis: Learn how schools can provide social-emotional support for students who are impacted by crises in other places.
Resources by Topic
- What You Should Know About Earthquakes (The National Child Traumatic Stress Network)
- Guidance for School Personnel: Students Who had a Loved One Die in an Earthquake
- Talking to Children about Earthquakes & Other Natural Disasters (American Academy of Child Adolescent Psychiatry)
- Managing Distress About an Earthquake from Afar (American Psychological Association) | Spanish version