Reading SOS: Does my child, who is learning English, need special education?

In our new series, Reading SOS, parents ask the experts their questions about reading and how to support their kids at home. In this question, a parent asks about her child, who reads fluently in her home language (Spanish) but is being referred for special education. Dr. Elsa Cárdenas-Hagan recommends that she ask the school if the testing is being done in English or in the home language. That's important to know, because the areas of concern may be related to learning English rather than any underlying issue. Don't be afraid to ask questions and advocate for your child!