Unlocking English Learners' Potential: Strategies for Making Content Accessible
Content teachers and ESOL teachers, take special note: if you’re looking for a single resource to help your English learners meet the same challenging content standards as their English-proficient peers, your search is complete. Just dip into this toolbox of strategies, examples, templates, and activities from EL authorities Diane Staehr Fenner and Sydney Snyder, which includes tips on:
- How to scaffold ELs’ instruction across content and grade levels
- How to promote ELs’ oral language development and academic language
- How to help ELs analyze text through close reading and text-dependent questions
- How to build ELs’ background knowledge
- How to design and use formative assessment with ELs
Note: We are particularly excited to announce the publication of this book since it is the direct result of the work Diane and Sydney have done on the Colorín Colorado blog. The foreword was written by Colorín Colorado Director Lydia Breiseth.
Preview this book!
Take a look at the introduction and first chapter, as well as excerpts on formative assessment, text-dependent questions, academic language, and ideas for scaffolding instruction on the Corwin website.