Dr. Sydney Snyder has over fifteen years experience working with English learners and their families in the U.S. and abroad. She began her teaching career as a Peace Corps Volunteer in Guinea, West Africa and since then has worked with both elementary and high school students in US public schools. Most recently she served as the K-12 ESOL Curriculum and Instruction Resource Teacher for the City of Falls Church, VA school district. She also has extensive experience working with adults. From 2000-2003 she worked as an English Language Fellow at Gadjah Mada University in Yogyakarata, Indonesia. While there she taught English at the university, worked with English department faculty on curriculum development, and gave teacher-training workshops.
She earned her Ph.D. in Multilingual/Multicultural Education at George Mason University in Fairfax, Virginia. Her secondary focus is Conflict Analysis and Resolution. Her research and interests include improving instruction of and support for culturally and linguistically diverse students and their families and working in support of social justice education.
Books by This Author
Unlocking English Learners' Potential: Strategies for Making Content Accessible
Content teachers and ESOL teachers, take special note: if you’re looking for a single resource to help your English learners meet the same challenging content standards as their English-proficient peers, your search is complete. Just dip into this toolbox of strategies, examples, templates, and activities from EL authorities Diane Staehr Fenner and Sydney Snyder, which includes tips on:
- Creating Text-Dependent Questions for ELLs: Examples for Second Grade (Part 2)
- Creating Text-Dependent Questions for ELLs: Examples for 6th-8th Grade (Part 3)
- The Five Pillars of Equitably Grading ELLs
- Using Pair and Group Work to Develop ELLs’ Oral Language Skills
- Socratic Circles and the Common Core: Activity Ideas for ELLs (Part III)
- Socratic Circles and the Common Core: A Close Reading of the Text (Part II)
- Socratic Circles and the Common Core: An Introduction (Part I)
- Common Core Curriculum Rubric: Meeting the Needs of ELLs