Common Core & ELLs: The Role of ESL Teachers
ESL teachers have valuable expertise and an important role to play in the implementation of the Common Core. Their guidance can also support other educators and students throughout the school. Learn more about how their role is changing and how they can contribute to all students' success. In addition, take a look at our Roles of ESL Teachers section, which covers professional topics such as:
- Standards That Impact English Language Learners
- Teacher Reflections: Implementing the Common Core with ELLs
- Teacher Reflections: Common Core Planning and Professional Development
- Introducing the Common Core State Standards in Cleveland
- Determining How Much Background Knowledge to Provide for ELLs
- New CCSS Resources from Education Week and Understanding Language
- What's Your "Elevator Speech" About Your Expertise with the Common Core for ELLs?
- TESOL Report: The Changing Role of the ESL Teacher
- Creating a Planning Process that Meets ELLs' Needs: A Staff Development Teacher's Perspective (Part 2)
Common Core advice
You already have the skills
What I bring to the table
Preparing ELLs for the Common Core in Poughkeepsie
ELL Educators and the Common Core
Common Core Advice: ESL Teacher Voices
Getting to Know the Common Core: ESL Teacher Voices
Common Core Resources from TESOL
The Changing Role of the ESL Teacher
TESOL International Association (Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages) has published a valuable report on the ways in which ESL teachers' roles are changing in the era of the Common Core State Standards.
For additional information, take a look at our related posts on the Common Core and ELLs blog!
Common Core Resource Section
TESOL International Association (Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages) has published a number of valuable documents in its Common Core resource section that address CCSS opportunities and challenges for ELLs.Highlights include:
- Issue Brief: Common Core and ELLs (March 2013)
- The Changing Role of the ESL Teacher (April 2013)
- TESOL Connections Special Issue on the CCSS (December 2012)
Learn more: Dr. Staehr Fenner offers in-depth discussion of these TESOL resources on our Common Core and ELLs blog.
Californians Together: Advocacy Toolkit
This Advocacy Toolkit offers prepared talking points for use by educators, policy makers, parents and community members in dialogues at the local, district and state levels — raising concerns, pushing for the supports needed to realize the Common Core for English learners, and advancing the vision of English Learner education that the Common Core can make possible.
More information about the toolkit is available from Lesli Maxwell's Learning the Language blog post about the project.