What do students have to say about their experiences and hopes for the future? Get a first-hand look from these essays and videos.
- Creating Your Own Classroom Newsletter
- Creating a Community of Learners
- Student Essay: Fulfilling a Family's Dream
- Empowering Immigrant Youth
- Inventing super heroes and writing about their adventures
Writing autobiographies with high school ELLs
Creating a welcoming environment for high school ELLs
Brainstorming a journal assignment with high school ELLs
Research and Reports
ELL Student Voices
These articles and essays capture the power of what writing can represent for ELLs and their teachers and families.
- English Language Learners and the Power of Personal Stories (The New York Times)
- Student Essay: Fulfilling a Family's Dream (College Summit)
- Student Stories: What Is the Best Advice Your Parents Ever Gave You? (National Writing Project)
- La Pluma es Lengua del Alma: Using Writing to Chronicle the Soul's Journey (Bobbi Houtchens, California English)