For English language learners (ELLs), the challenges of going to and applying to college can be overwhelming. ELL teachers can play an important role, however, by helping students prepare for and navigate the application process. This section features a number of articles with great ideas for ways that ELL educators can support their students as they consider their future plans.
Tips for Educators
These resources include podcasts and videos featuring college readiness experts who have worked extensively with ELLs and Latino students.
- Dr. Frances Contreras: Providing the Right Learning Opportunities for Latino Student Success (Podcast)
- Christine Rowland: College Readiness (Video)
- Webcasts: Supporting ELLs in Middle and High School (Video)
- Independent Lens: The Graduates / Los Graduados (PBS)
- Making Education Work for Latinas in the U.S. (Eva Longoria Foundation)
- American Graduate: A Public Media Initiative
Professional Booklist: College Readiness and ELLs
These books highlight important topics around college readiness and ELLs, including academic preparation and guidance for diverse students, particular challenges facing undocumented students, and personal stories from Latino and first-generation college students about their experiences.
Add new comment