Social-Emotional Support for ELLs During COVID-19
Learn more about how the COVID-19 pandemic is impacting English language learners (ELLs) and immigrant families and how schools can partner with families to support students.
- 10 Strategies for Building Relationships with ELLs
- "Mental health comes first": A Principal Shares Her Priorities for This Year (Part 3)
- How COVID-19 Is Impacting ELL and Immigrant Families
- Working with Community Organizations to Support ELL Students
- How to Support Your Child’s Social-Emotional Health: 8 Tips for Families
Resources for educators
See this resource section from Reading Rockets for social-emotional learning (SEL) resources related to COVID-19, information about trauma and the pandemic, and engaging with students from a distance.
National Child Traumatic Stress Network
Resources for families
- How to protect yourself when caring for a child with COVID-19 (The Washington Post)
- Coronavirus and Helping Kids: FAQs on Handwashing, Anxiety, and More (Understood)
- How to Talk to Your Kids About the Coronavirus (HealthLine)
- Talking to Children About COVID-19 (Coronavirus): A Parent Resource (National Association of School Psychologists)
Public Media Resources
These bilingual resources offer families and educators tips for talking about the COVID-19 crisis, as well as related activities.
- How to Talk to Your Kids About the Coronavirus | Also in Spanish (PBS Parents)
- Resources from Families During COVID-19 | Also in Spanish (Fred Rogers Company)
- Sesame Street in Communities: Health Emergencies | Also in Spanish (Sesame Street)
- Caring for Each Other: Activities, Videos, and More for Kids (Sesame Street )
- What To Say To Kids When The News Is Scary (NPR)
Sesame Street and CNN Town Hall: The ABCs of COVID-19
This CNN town hall for families includes visits from beloved Sesame Street characters, as well as experts around the country. Watch Elmo make a face mask and Abby talk about big feelings. In addition, Alan talks about the importance of treating everyone with kindness during this difficult time.