The Common Core in Albuquerque, NM
What will the Common Core mean for ELLs? Teachers in Albuquerque, New Mexico have tackled that question in a multimedia project that focuses on implementing the standards with ELLs.
About the Project
In collaboration with Dr. Diane August, a cadre of 15 teachers developed Common Core lessons in English language arts for grades 1, 4, and 8 that target the language and literacy needs of ELLs. Each unit includes a variety of activities scaffolded for ELLs of varying proficiency levels that can be adjusted as needed.
Resources from the project include:
- Lesson Plans for Grades 1, 4, and 8
- Classroom Videos
- Meet the Teachers: Video Interviews
- Video interview with Dr. Ellen Bernstein, ATF President
- Video interview with Dr. Diane August
- Video interview with Ann Bradley, Innovation Fund
- Teacher Reflections: Preparing for the Common Core
- Behind-the-scenes: Project Background
The project was made possible by a partnership between the Albuquerque Teachers Federation (ATF) and Colorín Colorado, which was funded by the American Federation of Teachers (AFT) Innovation Fund.