What is the Common Core?
The Common Core State Standards (CCSS) Initiative is a state-led effort intended to provide more clarity about and consistency in what is expected of student learning across the country. These resources provide an introduction to the standards as well as recommended resources.
Colorín Colorado Series: Common Core Overview
- An Introduction to the Common Core State Standards (Part I)
- Common Core and ELLs: Key Shifts in Language Arts and Literacy (Part II)
Where can I see the standards?
You can find the standards and all related official documents on the official CCSS website. For a direct link to the standards, see below:
- Common Core State Standards: Elementary School
- Common Core State Standards: Middle School
- Common Core State Standards: High School
- Common Core State Standards for ELA and Literacy
- Common Core State Standards for Math
- Common Core glossary: English Language Arts (Scholastic)
- Share My Lesson: Common Core Lessons (AFT)
- Common Core State Standards Toolkit (Oregon Department of Education)
- Common Core Advocacy Toolkit (Californians Together)
- Curriculum guides and lesson plans (engageNY)
- Understanding the CCSS shifts (Achieve the Core)
- Resource guide for educators (Edutopia)
- Common Core resources for librarians (School Library Journal)