Distance Learning for ELLs: Colorín Colorado Guide
This guide by Kristina Robertson shares ideas for distance learning with English language learners, tools that can increase language production, and lessons learned about communicating with multilingual families remotely.
See additional resources in our distance learning resource section.
Colorín Colorado Guide: Distance Learning for ELLs
These articles offer planning tools, strategies, recommended resources, and much more.
Part I: Instruction for ELLs
- What You Need to Know
- Distance Learning and ELLs: Needs Assessment
- How to Expand ELLs' Technology Access for Distance Learning
- Planning Instruction
- Teaching ELLs Online: How to Develop Students' Language Skills
- Offline Learning at Home
- Challenges and Opportunities
- Privacy Considerations for ELLs/Immigrant Students
Part II: Building Partnerships with ELL Students and Families
- 8 Strategies for Building Relationships with ELLs in Any Learning Environment
- Distance Learning and ELLs: Lessons Learned About Family Partnerships
- How Schools Can Communicate with ELL Families During COVID-19
- The Importance of Updated Contact Information
- How COVID-19 Is Impacting ELL and Immigrant Families
- Partnering with Immigrant Families During COVID-19: Lessons Learned from a Community School
What ELL Educators Need to Know As Schools Reopen
Join Lydia Breiseth of Colorín Colorado, Kristina Robertson, Alonso Jaque-Pino and Share My Lesson for a session on reopening schools with hybrid and in-person learning.
Distance learning and ELLs Part II: What's Working, What's Not, and Getting Ready for Fall
Kristina Robertson of the Roseville School District; Glenda Gúzman Macal, Fort Bend AFT, TX and Katherine Kurjakovic from the United Federation of Teachers in NY for the continued discussion on the challenges of distance learning during the Coronavirus pandemic.
Distance learning and ELLs Part I: What do we know so far?
This webinar features Diane Staehr Fenner from SupportEd; teacher and author, Larry Ferlazzo, and Lydia Breiseth with Colorín Colorado discussing the challenges of distance learning during the Coronavirus Pandemic.