Counting and Numbers: Books for Young Children
These books not only help young children learn to count but invite them to explore the ways we use math and numbers every day.
For related activity ideas to counting, numbers, and math, see the following:
Growing Readers articles (also available in Spanish)
- Creating Bar Graphs
- Measure Up!
- One, Two, Buckle My Shoe: Math and Literacy for Preschoolers
- Patterns and Categorizing
- Teaching Sequence
Reading Rockets Activities and Books
Family Tip Sheets from the Illinois Early Learning Project (also available in Spanish and Polish)
- Making Sense of Numbers – also available in Korean, Chinese, Arabic, and French
- Counting Up, Down, and All Around!
- Fun at Home with Preschoolers: Let’s Measure!
- Math Sense: Learning about Coins
- Things We Need: Economics for Preschoolers
- It Takes Money: Economics for Preschoolers
- Path to Math for Preschoolers
For more children's books on numbers and math, see Reading Rockets' themed booklists and the Books Count! Number Fun for Children from the Children's Cooperative Book Center.