Hispanic Heritage Month
Colorín Colorado celebrates Hispanic Heritage Month with dynamic booklists, classroom activities, and multimedia resources. These are great materials for the curriculum year round!
For more great ideas, see our resource section on "Día," or Children's Day/Book Day (El día de los niños/El día de los libros).
Booklists & Awards
Booklists for Children and Teens
Our Hispanic Heritage collection features more than 50 booklists for kids and teens, including lots of award winners!
Book awards celebrating Hispanic Heritage
- Pura Belpré Book Award: Books that best portrays, affirms, and celebrates the Latino cultural experience in an outstanding work of literature for children and youth
- Américas Award: Children’s and young adult books that portray Latin America, the Caribbean, or Latinx in the United States
- Tomas Rivera Book Award: Books highlighting Mexican American characters and experiences
To see additional books that have won other recent major awards, see the following lists:
Meet the Author Interviews
Take a look at the interviews with the following authors, poets, and illustrators in our Meet the Authors section!
Many of their books are available in Spanish or in bilingual formats.
Classroom Activities and Lesson Plans
- Share My Lesson's Hispanic Heritage Resource Page
- Facing History: Latinx Resource Collection
- Hispanic Heritage Sites of Interest on the National Registry of Historic Places (National Park Service)
- Latin American Network Information Center (LANIC) (University of Texas at Austin)
- Celebrate National Hispanic Heritage Month (Teaching Tolerance)
- Honoring LGBTQ Voices During Hispanic Heritage Month (Teaching Tolerance)
- Online Activities and Games to Celebrate Hispanic Heritage (Scholastic)
- Latino Public Broadcasting Education Collection (PBS Learning Media)
- The Dolores Huerta Collection (PBS Learning Media)
- Latino Civil Rights Timeline (Teaching Tolerance)
- History Lesson Plans for Teaching About Latin America (Edsitement.org)
- Hispanic Heritage Crossword (Grades 9-12)
- Latino Americans: Documentary and Lesson Plans (WETA/PBS)
- Hispanic Heritage Resources for Teachers (Smithsonian Education)
- Spanish and Chicano English (Do you speak American?)
- Culture in Art Lesson Plans (The Life and Times of Frida Kahlo, PBS)
- Author Isabel Allende (NOW)
- Google honors Hispanic nurse Ildaura Murillo-Rohde with a Doodle (Atlanta Journal-Constitution)
- Google Doodle celebrates Mexican-American botanist and explorer Ynés Mexía (CNN)