Hispanic Heritage Month
Colorín Colorado celebrates Hispanic Heritage Month with dynamic booklists, classroom activities, and multimedia resources. These are great materials for the curriculum year round!
For more great ideas, see our resource section on "Día," or Children's Day/Book Day (El día de los niños/El día de los libros).
Booklists & Author Interviews
Booklists for Children and Teens
Our Hispanic Heritage collection features more than 50 booklists for kids and teens, including lots of award winners! Meg Medina's novel Merci Suárez Changes Gears won the 2019 Newbery Award and Matt de la Pena won in 2016 for the picture book Last Stop on Market Street.
Awards Celebrating Latinx Literature
Meet the Author Interviews
Take a look at the interviews with the following authors, poets, and illustrators in our Meet the Authors section!
Many of their books are available in Spanish or in bilingual formats.
Classroom Activities and Lesson Plans
- Share My Lesson's Hispanic Heritage Resource Page
- Hispanic Heritage Sites of Interest on the National Registry of Historic Places (National Park Service)
- Latin American Network Information Center (LANIC) (University of Texas at Austin)
- Celebrate National Hispanic Heritage Month (Teaching Tolerance)
- Honoring LGBTQ Voices During Hispanic Heritage Month (Teaching Tolerance)
- Online Activities and Games to Celebrate Hispanic Heritage (Scholastic)
- Guide for English Language Learners (Postcards from Buster Lesson Guide)
- Hispanic Heritage Month Lesson Plans, Quizzes, and Activities by Subject (TeacherVision)
- Latino Public Broadcasting Education Collection (PBS Learning Media)
- The Dolores Huerta Collection (PBS Learning Media)
- My Family Traditions: A Class Book and Potluck Lunch (ReadWriteThink.org)
- Investigating Names to Explore Personal History with A House on Mango Street (ReadWriteThink.org)
- Latino Civil Rights Timeline (Teaching Tolerance)
- History Lesson Plans for Teaching About Latin America (Edsitement.org)
- Arts-Integrated Lesson Plans for Hispanic Heritage Month (The Kennedy Center's ArtsEdge)
- Hispanic Heritage Activity Sheets from Chicago Public Library (Education World)
- Hispanic Heritage Crossword (Grades 9-12)
- Latino Americans: Documentary and Lesson Plans (WETA/PBS)
- Hispanic Heritage Resources for Teachers (Smithsonian Education)
- Latinos in America (Independent Lens)
- Spanish and Chicano English (Do you speak American?)
- Culture in Art Lesson Plans (The Life and Times of Frida Kahlo, PBS)
- Author Isabel Allende (NOW)