Colorín Colorado is grateful for the support of its partners and friends of the project, named below.
The American Federation of Teachers
Colorín Colorado is made possible by the American Federation of Teachers (AFT), our primary collaborator on this project. Additional support for our Common Core and ELLs section has also come from the American Federation of Teachers' Innovation Fund.
This effort would not have been possible without the commitment and dedication of the following individuals as the American Federation of Teachers: Randi Weingarten, Marla Ucelli-Kashyap, Toni Cortese, Joan Baratz-Snowden, Rob Weil, John Mitchell, and Giselle Lundy-Ponce.
Other contributing AFT staff include Michele McLaughlin, Margarita Escarfullet, Beth Antunez, Jaime Zapata, Rachel Garcia, Kathleen McGuigan, Nina Brew, Regina Bracey and Mariame Toure. AFT Innovation Fund assistance has come from Ann Bradley, Justin Stone, Eve Dailey, and Danielle Hawkins.
ELL Educator Cadre
Additional support and editorial guidance comes from the AFT ELL Educator Cadre. The Cadre is comprised of a number of veteran practitioners who are experts in the instruction of ELLs, including teachers, professional development specialists, paraprofessionals, union leaders, and higher education faculty from AFT affiliates.
Their role includes helping to develop materials on professional development for educators who work with ELLs in various educational settings, and advise the AFT on special projects such as Colorín Colorado.
Current cadre members include:
- Joanne Anderson (MN)
- Nelver Brooks (MO)
- Becky Corr (CO)
- Evelyn DeJesus (NY)
- Ameena Elder (MI)
- Loyola Garcia (NM)
- Gabriela Ibarra (CA)
- Katie Kurjakovic (NY)
- Susan Lafond (NY)
- Cassandra Lawrence (NJ)
- Glenda Macal (TX)
- Ingrid Miera (MN)
- Erica Schatzlein (MN)
- Areli Schermerhorn (NY)
- Servia Silva (NY)
Prior cadre members include:
- Janet Davis (CA)
- Catalina Fortino (NY)
- Hobie Hukill (TX)
- Charlett King (NY)
- Amber Prentice Jimenez (MN)
- Cynthia Lundgren (MN)
- Miriam Martinez (NM)
- Neyda Mora (FL)
- Phil McQueen (MA)
- Janet Montoya Schoeppner (NM)
- Claudia Navarro (FL)
- Patricia Nuñez (TX)
- Rebecca Palacios (TX)
- Juan Ramirez (CA)
- Gustavo Rivera (FL)
- Kristina Robertson (MN)
- Christine Rowland (NY)
- Miriam Soto Pressley (IN)
- Ginny Thomas (TX)
- Xiao-lin Yin-Croft (CA)
National Education Association
Colorín Colorado gratefully acknowledges the support of our newest partner, the National Education Association (NEA).
Colorín Colorado is a proud founding partner of Understood, a free online resource for parents of children with learning and attention issues.
Previous partners and funders of Colorín Colorado include:
- U.S. Department of Education, Office of Special Education Programs
- The National Institute for Literacy
- The Carnegie Foundation
- Educational Development Center and Bank Street College
The Honor Roll
We are very grateful to the following individuals for their information, advice, and support:
- Dr. Margarita Calderón, Principal Research Scientist, Center for Data-Driven Reform in Education (CDDRE), Johns Hopkins University
- Maria Hernandez Ferrier, Ed.D., former Director, U.S. Department of Education, Office of English Language Acquisition, Language Enhancement, and Academic Achievement for Limited English Proficient Students (OELA)
- Kathleen Leos, President and CEO of The Global Institute for Language and Literacy Development
- Dr. Liliana Minaya-Rowe, Professor Emeritus, Neag School of Education, University of Connecticut
- Pat Mora, children's author, poet, and literacy advocate
- Delia Pompa, V.P. Education, National Council of la Raza
- Dr. Kathleen Ross-Kidder, former Director, LD OnLine
- Dr. Isabel Schon, Director, Barahona Center for the Study of Books in Spanish for Children and Adolescents
- Jacqueline Vialpando, Language and Literacy Coordinator, National Council of La Raza
- Dr. Claude Goldenberg, Stanford University, School of Education
- Dr. Michael Kamil, Stanford University, School of Education
- Dr. Timothy Shanahan, University of Illinois at Chicago, College of Education
Also many thanks to Mariela Aguilar, Rose Bornstein, Maria Dyson, Nancy Flores, Mia French, Maria Gómez, Oralia Garza de Cortes, Tracy Gray, Cynthia Hunnicut, Diane Lyon, Anita Merina, Jayme Ribeiro Neto, Emma Resfuerzo, Rosana Rodríguez, Malcom Tronic, and Abelardo Villarreal.
We can't forget to extend a special thank you to Pam McKeta, Susan Petroff and David Meissner for the original concept development and creation of Colorín Colorado. Last but not least, we thank Caldecott Award-winning illustrator David Diaz for his beautiful illustrations!