This collection highlights new Colorín Colorado resources published during 2022, including articles, interviews, multilingual family outreach videos, booklists, and our new web app, Colorín on the Go!
To see new resources when they come out, sign up for our monthly newsletter and check out our social media channels:
Social-emotional learning for ELLs
- "Grow As You Go": 10 Strategies for Supporting SEL for ELLs
- Webinar: Prioritizing Social and Emotional Support for ELLs, School Staff and Families on SEL
Collaboration & professional topics
- What is an ELL Educator?
- Co-Teaching ELLs: 8 Strategies for Success (Article + tip sheet)
- Q&A with Areli Schermerhorn, Peer Evaluator for ENL/Bilingual Education
- Hiring Your School’s First ELL Teacher: 10 Tips for School Leaders
- What Are the Legal Requirements Related to ELL Education?
Resources related to Ukraine
The following resources offer tips for partnering with Ukrainian families and the Ukrainian community in the U.S., as well as resources for discussion of current events as they unfold.
- Partnering with Ukrainian Families: Tips for Schools
- The Invasion of Ukraine: Resources for Educators and Families
Family Outreach and Engagement
Family Literacy: Multilingual Video Series
These videos offer ideas on how families can support their child's literacy through activities at home, regardless of families' own literacy levels. Outreach guides are included along with each video series.
- Being Bilingual Is a Superpower: Animated Video 8 Languages
- Family Literacy Tips for All Families: Video Series in English and Spanish
- Indigenous Family Outreach: Videos in English, Spanish, and Mam
Partnering with Multilingual Families in Brockton, MA
Learn how the public schools in Brockton, MA support partnerships with multilingual families and the impact those partnerships are having in this multimedia project featuring videos with dozens of district staff members and leaders, as well as an in-depth article series.
Featured video: Multilingual Family Outreach in Brockton, MA
Meet the Author: Matt de la Peña
Matt de la Peña is an award-winning author of numerous books for young adults and children, including the Newbery-award winner Last Stop on Market Street. In this video clip, he talks about the role of language in his house. You can see more from Matt in our Meet the Author interview.
Video: David Hall on the teacher who changed his life
In this video interview, music teacher David Hall sends a special message to his high school band director, Mr. Edgmon. You can learn more about David's story in Teacher Appreciation: "The Teacher Who Refused to Give Up on Me."
- Award-Winning Books: 2022
- A Welcoming Place: Stories for Kids
- Social and Emotional Learning: Books for Kids
- Stella Díaz: Chapter Book Series
- Lola Levine: Chapter Book Series
- Yasmin: Early Reader Series
- Nature Stories for Kids of All Ages: Hispanic Heritage
- Bilingual Picture Books: Stories Featuring Spanish Vocabulary Words
- Sarai Gonzalez: Chapter Book Series
- LGBTQ Stories for All Ages: Hispanic Heritage
- 13th Street: Chapter Book Series by David Bowles
- Puerto Rican Stories: Stories for All Ages
- Veterans: Native Stories
- Rigoberta Menchú: Books for Children and Teens
Colorín on the Go!
Colorín on the Go is a new, free web app from Colorín Colorado and the American Federation of Teachers, offering more than 100 strategies for educators of ELLs, as well as multilingual resources to share with families! Topics include ideas for new teachers of ELLs, ELL instruction, multilingual family outreach, and social and emotional support.
You can tell others about Colorín on the Go with our:
- Social media graphic
- Printable flyer
- Intro video (see below)
You can get to Colorín on the Go by visiting go.colorincolorado.org from any device or using this QR code:
Add new comment